So I’m normally pretty good at keeping things organized on my computer. Files are in appropriate folders, email Inbox is normally kept down to 0 messages (gotta love the Inbox Zero method) and everything is just where I want it.
Ever since I started taking a lot more photos in the past few years (especially with the addition of the iPhone), photos have been the one thing I haven’t been able to keep as organized. Part of the problem is that some are shared on my Posterous site, others directly to Facebook, others on Flickr…you get the point.
But this whole “having a baby and really wanting to document…well, let’s be honest, every smile/smirk/expression/pouty lip that I possibly can” situation is making me go a little bit crazy. So, here’s the deal. I take photos and videos of Caleb with my iPhone (probably the highest number of shots are from my phone), and I take nicer photos (using my fancy portrait lens) on my Canon Digital Rebel. That’s it. But, once I’ve taken the photos, I have no idea where to store them. My iPhoto program just trudges…along…and…it’s…so…very painful to upload photos, but even slower to try to navigate around the program and find photos.
So, right now, all of these super cute photos of Caleb that I’m taking are going to a variety of spots:
- Posterous site (www.adamwc.me): I haven’t been using this as much recently, but it’s where I started
- Instagram: So many of the photos I take now are shared through Instagram, and then shared through Twitter & Facebook. But it really can only be accessed through the phone. All of the photos I post are saved to my phone, but I’m not sure what to do with them next
- Facebook & Twitter: lots of photos are shared through these big social networks. I’ve set up a special photo album for some of the nicest photos of Caleb, and try to get most of them online there.
- Flickr: I’ve started using my Pro account with Flickr again, and send all of my Instagram photos to Flickr, but that’s it in terms of what goes up there.
- Folders, folders & folders: I’ve now taken to dumping the very large photo files from the Canon Digital Rebel onto folders on my desktop, hence cluttering my desktop, which I’m not a fan of. So I have folders with timeframes (December 30 – February 20), some with titles about certain events (3-month birthday, bath time, etc), others that just say “Caleb Photos.”
- External Hard Drive: Lots of my Caleb photos have been transferred to an external hard drive.
So I need your help. I really want these memories to be saved – to be enjoyed later – to be easily accessible to me when I need to find the most embarrassing shot possible for high school graduation or something. Crap.
I would love it if you’ll tell me about your photo storage system in case you have something that works well for you. What are the pros and cons of the route you’ve decided to take? Do you save them all online? Or just on an external back-up drive? And if you do keep them all together, how do you organize them? By events? Dates? Best guesses at dates? Any software or programs you swear by?
Obviously – this is something I’d like to figure out soon before the whole project ends up becoming too unwieldily.